- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Servings: 6
About This Recipe
“Tasty chicken enchiladas from a Better Homes & Gardens cookbook. A family favorite for years.”
- 1cupchopped onion
- 1garlic clove, inced
- 2tablespoonscooking oil
- 1tablespoonall-purpose flour
- 1 (16ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (16ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (4ounce) cans chopped green chili peppers
- 1teaspoonground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoonsalt
- 2cupscooked chicken
- 1 1/2 cupscheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cupfinely chopped onion
- 1/4 cupsmall pitted ripe olives, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoonsalt
- 72inchescorn tortillas
- 1/4 cupsmall pitted ripe olives, sliced
- 1 (16ounce) cans enchilada sauce
- Cook the 1 cup chopped onion and garlic in oil until onion is tender but not brown; stir in flour.
- Add undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili peppers, sugar, cumin and salt.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; set aside.
- Combine chicken, HALF the cheese, the 1/4 cup onion, chopped olives and the 3/4 teaspoon salt.
- Set aside.
- In skillet, dip tortillas briefly in small amount of hot oil until limp but not crisp; drain (you can also soften instead in microwave for a few seconds.) Spoon 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture onto each tortilla; roll up.
- Place in a large (13x9x2-inch) baking dish.
- Pour tomato mixture over all.
- Pour enchilada sauce evenly over top.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350ºF for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese; return to oven until cheese melts, 2 or 3 minutes.
- Top with the sliced olives.
- “Sharlene,What a great recipe! Just had a feed for 50 people and made three large pans of enchiladas. Yours was the first to go and people were asking for more! Thanks for posting.”
- “Sharlene, This recipe was amazing!!! WOW I!!! I just made this dish tonight for my boyfriend and he just raved.Thans for the posting, i tink i might pull out my Better Homes & Garden cookbook and see what esle i can find. Yummy”
- “Oh this was so good! I used half cheddar and half montery jack cheese. We can’t get canned enchilada sauce so I used the package variety. I can’t wait to make this again, we all loved it.”
- “These are a little different than what I am accustomed to but still very good.The recipe made approximately 14 nice size enchiladas.The corn tortillas were wrapped in foil and warmed in the oven prior to assembling.There was a considerable amount of sauce left which was frozen and will be used to make the recipe again.The olives were used only as a garnish on top.The enchiladas were served with a tossed salad.”
- “Turned out very well.Not too spicy for my family but very flavorful.I also used 2 cups of the Red Enchilada Sauce as mentioned by another reviewer.I did have a lot of sauce left over- I might cut the tomato sauce from the recipe in half next time.This recipe was just what I have been looking for!”
- “My family loved them!Thanks”
- “The BEST chicken enchiliadas I’ve ever made!I couldn’t believe how great these turned out.I mixed a little sour cream and some of the sauce into the chicken mix and used Red Enchiliada Sauce Recipe #12877 on the top.Soooooo good!”
- “The whole family enjoyed the enchiladas.Excellent recipe.Made withEnchilada Sauce recipe #103145.”
- “This was yummy! I found the tomato sauce to be a bit too sweet so I will cut back on the sugar next time. I used flour tortillas and omitted the olives. Delish!”
- “Easy to make and delicious!”
- “My family and I just thought these enchiladas were okay.Thanks for sharing.”
- “chicken enchiladas are one of our favorites, and this recipe is absolutely amazing.the only change i make is to use flour tortillas, just because that’s what we prefer.thanks for this YUMMY recipe!”
- “Great recipe!I omitted the olives for personal taste, and didn’t use 14oz of green chilis, but we really enjoyed the finished product!Made a pan for 2 of us, so we’d have wonderful leftovers to reheat over the holiday long weekend on nights when I couldn’t stand to cook anymore :)Thanks!”